Saturday, February 11, 2006

JOSHUA TIME 332

UPDATED PARKING STORY

JOSHUA TIME PARK IT!

By; Joshua M. Robinson

JOSHUA TIME

EKU NEEDS TO PARK IT
This is for all students who drive especially the handicap stdents who drive yes handicap students do and can drive.
My name is Joshua Robinson and I’m a 25-year-old man I have cerebral palsy, which effects my walking and my speech. I’m a too the point writer and sometimes too blunt of a person in my writings and emails. I I always like to introduce myself and give the history of who I am. I try to be the voice of the people the voice to get change. Sometimes change is good.

I know that students have to pay for parking permits. My dad has used my car to take my brother to school and every year my car gets a but load of tickets for no reason; my brother has a temporarily disability. I have a handicap parking sticker issued by the state and I still got tickets. It is not fair nor right for students ot faculty to park a mile or more from their class, apartment, or dorm. For people like me who can not walk good and have to use a wheelchair to get to class it is absolutely terrible.

When I was at Lee university in Cleveland, Tennessee I am unaware if I had any or other students had to pay for parking also parking students could park closer to their classes and their dorms. Lee University was a private University meaning they could charge high tution and charge for parking however the difference is Lee University had accessible parking. Somerset Community although it was a commuter college they did not charge for parking. Somerset had about 6handicap parking spots most of those was taken and no tickets were given out. At Lee University when students parked in handicap spots they got a boot which is something on the wheel and you had to pay to get it off.

For cops and campus security who have nothing better to do than ticket cars they need to look at the cars that do not have handicap parking stickers. They do not do it and it is not right for cars that do have propper identification to be ticketed; especially when the campus is not accesible for any students. My dad has seen cars get towed just for parking legally. I have seen cars park in handicap spots with no handicap identification and those cars not get ticketed or towed.

EKU charges 30.00 a year for parking permits, lets not forget all the other expenses EKU and other schools, universities, and colleges charge. Its not fair an EKU NEEDS TO PARK IT!
It takes more time to park a car in the propper spot and walk to class and when a person gets to class they are so wore out its hard to learn. You can not enjoy class or learn when your out of breath looking for a parking spot; teachers and bosses do not like their students and or employees to be late for class/work. However when people have to park a mile or more a way from the class building, dorm, or apartment it gets bothersome. Its either park far away and be late to class or park close to class and risk being towed or ticketed. My dad has seen cars get towed just for parking legally. I have seen cars park in handicap spots with no handicap identification and those cars not get ticketed or towed.

Some one needs to rise up talk to EKU the campus security and talk to the cops.

I would love to see the cops and campus security be in the students position when it comes to parking, maybe then they would be learn how its like to park far away and still be expected to be at class/work on time.

I’ll be driving again after Feb 07 and this is another big ticket item for me. My back should be healed up it has been 6weeks since my back surgery and I have hated life. Since I will not have no help with my wheelchair, I will probably have to walk to class and I do fall a lot. I’m tough however I do not want to mess my surgery up. Nevertheless I chose to jump out of frying pan back in to the fire. I chose not to take a break after my surgery.

I chose to do something about the parking situation by writing this, see if I fall and get hurt or any one falls and gets hurt it is not mine nor the person that gets hurts People do not get hurt on purpose However walking can be a chore and hard to do for some people.

In an interview with Emerson St. John about the parking the interview was done by yahoo chat. When I asked Emerson, How do you feel about the parking at EKU? He stated “I feel students have a very disadvantage when parking at EKU. We continue to build new structures, but never build a parking garage. Our enrollment numbers go up every year, and parking only gets worse. It frustrates me that students do not come first when it comes to parking.” When asked about how he felt about the handicap parking at EKU? He states, “Handicap parking is something I am not sure about. I feel there is enough handicap parking, but there is not a parking spot for the general handicap public. These spots require an EKU handicap parking decal, and I feel there should be more for outside public handicap individuals.” When asked if he had ever been ticketed he says, “I have been ticketed and think the parking fees are too high. If there was more parking spaces or a parking garage less tickets would be given.” When asked if he had suggestions to eleveate the parking problems to paraphrase build a parking garage. See EKU could get a grant to build a parking garage.

I honestly never thought of a parking garage EKU could get a grant to build a parking garage or build a parking garage with the tution.

In an interview by email with Brandon Burtner a student he states about the parking, How do you feel about the parking? “The on-campus parking is not always great. I can always find a spot, I just don't always like it.” When asked,Do you feel EKU has an aduquate number of parking spaces for handicap/disabled people? He states, “I'm not sure, I've never really checked how many we have and I do not know how many we need.” When asked if he had ever been ticketed he responds by saying yes he has been ticketed. When asked, do you have any suggestions for the parking? I really don't. Unfortunately, the only real problem is that the available spots are not always great spots, but there really are always spots somewhere.

He said there are always spots available just not great spots unfortuantly he never offered no suggestions to help fix the problem

In an email interview with Crystal Duckwall, a student and occupational special disabilities major she states to the following questions; How do you feel about the parking? She states, “I believe that parking is always better after the second semester because people drop out or graduate...I know that sounds horriable but parking is so bad on campus; if you arent in the parking lots by 9 or 10pm then good luck finding any legal spot. “ When asked, Do you feel EKU has an aduquate number of parking spaces for handicap/disabled people? She responds, “I live in Telford and there are only about 3 or 4 handicap parking spaces and out of a building that holds more than 600 people I know there has to be more disabled people needing to find a parking space. Telford also has one of the best parking on campus so I hate to imagine what its like for the other dorms, little a lone communitor parking spots.” When I asked her Have you ever been ticketed? She responds, “Ha Ha Who hasnt been ticketed? I have had several tickets because at night when I get out of my job at and get back on campus around 1sh, Im not about to park in a parking lot that is clear across campus. I would rather pay $15 then risk anything happening to me. I know there is the shuddle but it never comes when I call it and you can't call it after 1 or 2am.” When asked Do you have any suggestions for the parking? She said, “So many things have been suggested in the past, but I think one of the best answers is a parking garage. I know it is a lot of money and has many risk of its own, but a little garage behind palmer, commonwealth, depree, or around that area is where it needs to be. If on campus people have better parking spots, then they wouldnt take over communitor parking spots. “

Two out of the three people interviewed feels a parking garage is the solution, I wonder why EKU does not build a parking garage as it would eliminate the ticket problem.

This map is from http://www.prm.eku.edu/web/campusmap/campusmap03feb2005.bmp

For people who have internet access you can look the parking rules up here at this address http://www.parking.eku.edu/parkreg/

I had emailed the parking office some questions. The guy who responded to my questions gives the following:
He responds to the following questions;
How many handicapped parking spaces are there on campus? He responds, “There are currently 155 marked handicapped spaces available on campus.”
How many handicapped parking spaces for each learning building and dorm (residence hall)? He states, “There are 108 near academic and administration buildings. There are 47 near residence halls. (Some of these spaces are close to both types of buildings) “
How many students drive? How many parking permits were issued this year? He says, “There are Commuter permits- 5,573 Total permits- 11,204”
How many handicapped permits were issued this year? He states, “There was 182 issued this year.”
Why is a regular handicapped state decal/permit not sufficient? He says, “To prevent abuse of handicapped parking, the University requires that handicapped individuals obtain a University Handicapped parking permit. This allows us to make sure the permit is being used by the appropriate individual. In the past there has been situations were individuals have used state handicapped permits that they were ineligible to use. “
What are the requirements for students and faculty to get a handicapped permit at EKU? He responds, “To- Obtain handicapped authorization form to be filled out by doctor. - Form is reviewed by University Disabilities Services. - Once form is approved permit is issued. J. Mark Jozefowicz

This is not nearly enough handicap parking spots. There needs to be a change a parking garage has been suggested by two of the people I emailed one student and one staff person, you know why the university will not build a parking garage because its about the money if they can write a ticket they can make money now I could be wrong. Also a parking garage would give more accessible parking to people who are disabled.

I emailed several other people but never got a response, to let the people reading this know why only three interviews were included.

If you want to email me feel free to do so jrobinson01@adelphia.net slicric147@yahoo.com

THIS HAS BEEN A NO GAMES JOSHUA TIME ON THE EKU PARKING

JOSHUA M ROBINSON

PROGRESS STAFF WRITER

I DON’T PLAY ANY GAMES!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.myspace.com
www.foxnews.com www.cnn.com