Monday, February 06, 2006

JOSHUA TIME 325

JOSHUA TIME DORM LIFE FAIR OR NOT

By; Joshua M. Robinson

JOSHUA TIME

My name is Joshua Robinson and I’m a 25-year-old man I have cerebral palsy, which effects my walking and my speech. I’m a too the point writer and sometimes too blunt of a person in my writings and emails. I always like to introduce myself and give the history of who I am.

Lets get some no spin facts again, tution is 2300.00 plus, parking which is 30.00 a year plus, books which are 100.00 a piece because the bookstore is owned by Barnes and Noble. Living in dorms/apartments which costs about 1600.00 add 200.00 more if I’m not mistaken for a private room. It is not fair for students to be charged extra if they can not find a roommate or want a roommate.

EKU THIS IS TO MUCH!

I don’t want to get a bad reputation for bashing the school because that is not what I want to do.

However when schools do not take time to listen at students about the dorms or any situation there is a problem. My brother who has a temporarily disability needed a private room for an accomadation last year. It is hard living with this disability. He tried to talk to the every one but no one would listen. He even tried to call and get an appointment with the President but the secretary tried to take care of it. He ultimately had to commute using our father as transportation, and our father is always late. He had to commute because EKU moved some one in his room that he was promised to keep. My brother signed papers to keep that room. I use my brother because he knows about the dorms and the situations.

One time a student moved out of a room to save it from being private EKU moved some one else in and left a perfectly good and usable room empty. You can not trust every one.

Most dorms are not kept up, to my knowledge a lot of dorms are run down and have some roaches. This is not fair for students to live in those conditions.

EKU has a reputation for being a party school. However some people are at EKU to learn. So, EKU has several dorms for various people which is good in a way. However, it sends the wrong message. A person can go from one dorm to the other and not get no work done because campus police is asleep to when they should be patrolling the campus. I do like to have fun but I’m here this year to prove to people that I can do this and make a 4.0GPA. I’ll party with the best however learning comes first. I’m commuting this year from London, Kentucky because of all the problems I have heard about.

We have people looking for roommates in the dorms and apartments because one they can not afford to live alone, two because its university rules. Let me address the part about university roommate rules. I do understand that EKU is trying to prepare people for the real world. However to when you can not trust your roommate or co-worker its hard to learn or work. You could be wondering "Is my stuff safe?" When you are supposed to be in class learning.

Let me address the fact of not being able to afford to live alone; EKU charges students extra for having extra things like extra refrigerators, televisions, phones, and so on in the dorm/apartment they do not tell the students until after they are charged for having it in there.

My brother and cousin had several extra things in the dorm had no knowledge they would be charged extra until it was too late.

This is not right for students to have to go look for roommates, to when EKU should match students up with the right people or not charge them for a dorm or better yet not charge so much. It would almost be cheaper to live on campus looking at how high gas is however, I can not afford to live on campus looking at the bottom line cost.

Voc Rehab would not help me because the "new rules" I could not get books for my schooling last semester at Somerset Community College and I had a 2.7GPA. I have to keep atleast a 2.0 to keep my other financial aides.

Nevertheless Voc Rehab did help get me a laptop computer. If I’m not mistaken they are supposed to help with tution and bookes I believe board to I could be wrong on that one though.

Again, its all about the money who ever don’t have a price can not be bought.

I have heard students complain about living in the dorms however what can you do unless you commute. Freshman are required to live on campus however I do not believe any one else is.

I guess truth does hurt but they can handle it!!!

I know life can get hard and its easy to get bitter nevertheless we should not complain about something we are not willing to take a stand and do something about I have done my part by writing this. I hope others will stand with me and tell the school tell some one we need to make the campus and the class room buildings more accesible and accomadate people with disabilities.
If I could I would also like to plug my JOSHUA TIME SITE I created a website and I was wantting everyone that would to check it out I write everything on thissite... Check my site/blog out its an imformative and interesting with my thoughts and columns please stay a while the site is www.slicric147.blogspot.com I am real I am just trying to get people to check mysite out.

Well I hope to hear back from some people on this issue, if you want to email me feel free to do so jrobinson01@adelphia.net slicric147@yahoo.com

THIS HAS BEEN A NO GAMES JOSHUA TIME ON THE EKU PARKING

JOSHUA M ROBINSON

EKU PROGRESS STAFF WRITER

I DON’T PLAY ANY GAMES!

1 Comments:

Blogger GreatOne said...

Joshua,
In reading your columns,I have gotten a feeling of honesty that I find refreshing. Most blogs, mine included, are shameles acts at self promotion, for hardly a worthwhile cause. Yours, however, is a great public service and I think you are doing a wonderful job! Keep going, yours is a voice that needs to be heard, and sooner rather then later I suspect the world will hear your call.

Great One

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.myspace.com
www.foxnews.com www.cnn.com