Wednesday, January 03, 2007

JOSHUA TIME 692

Who We Are>Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:48:25 -0800 (PST)>> A Letter to the Public:>>> I wish you could know what it is like to search a burning bedroom> for trapped children at 3 AM, flames rolling above your head, your palms> and knees burning as you crawl, the floor sagging under your weight as> the kitchen below you burns.>> I wish you could comprehend a wife's horror at 6 in the morning as I> check her husband of 40 years for a pulse and find none. I start CPR> anyway, hoping to bring him back, knowing intuitively it is too late.> But> wanting his wife and family to know everything possible was done to try> to save> his life.>> I wish you knew the unique smell of burning insulation, the taste of> soot-filled mucus, the feeling of intense heat through your turnout> gear, the sound of flames crackling, the eeriness of being able to see> absolutely nothing in dense smoke-sensations that I've become too> familiar> with.>> I wish you could read my mind as I respond to a building fire "Is this a> false alarm or a working fire? How is the building constructed? What> hazards await me? Is anyone trapped?">> Or to call, "What is wrong with the patient? Is it minor or> life-threatening?>> Is the caller really in distress or is he waiting for> us with a 2x4 or a gun?">> I wish you could be in the emergency room as a doctor pronounces dead> the beautiful five-year old girl that I have been trying to save during> the past 25 minutes, who will never go on her first date or say the> words,> "I love you Mommy" again.>> I wish you could know the frustration I feel in the cab of the engine,> squad, or my personal vehicle, the driver with his foot pressing down> hard on the pedal, my arm tugging again and again at the air horn chain,> as you fail to yield the right-of-way at an intersection or in traffic.> When you need us however, your first comment upon our arrival will be,> "It> took you forever to get here!">> I wish you could know my thoughts as I help extricate a girl of teenage> years from the remains of her automobile. "What if this was my daughter,> sister, my girlfriend or a friend? What were her parents reaction going> to be when they opened the door to find a police officer with hat in> hand?">> I wish you could know how it feels to walk in the back door and greet my> parents and family, not having the heart to tell them that I nearly did> not come back from the last call.>> I wish you could know how it feels dispatching officers, firefighters> and EMT's out and when we call for them and our heart drops because no> one answers back or to hear a bone chilling 911 call of a child or wife> needing assistance.>> I wish you could feel the hurt as people verbally, and sometimes> physically, abuse us or belittle what I do, or as they express their> attitudes of "It will never happen to me.">> I wish you could realize the physical, emotional and mental drain or> missed meals, lost sleep and forgone social activities, in addition to> all the tragedy my eyes have seen.>> I wish you could know the brotherhood and self-satisfaction of helping> save a life or preserving someone's property, or being able to be there> in time of crisis, or creating order from total chaos.>> I wish you could understand what it feels like to have a little boy> tugging at your arm and asking, "Is Mommy okay?" Not even being able to> look in his eyes without tears from your own and not knowing what to> say. Or> to have to hold back a long time friend who watches his buddy having CPR> done on> him as they take him away in the Medic Unit. You know all along he did> not have his seat belt on. A sensation that I have become too familiar> with.>> Unless you have lived with this kind of life, you will never truly> understand or appreciate who I am, we are, or what our job really means> to us...I wish you could though.>>> KEEP SENDING THIS ON. APPRECIATE AND SUPPORT THE LOCAL EMS WORKERS, 911> DISPATCHERS, FIREFIGHTERS, and LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS IN YOUR AREA.> ____________________

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.myspace.com
www.foxnews.com www.cnn.com