Monday, April 03, 2006

JOSHUA TIME 391

ADA AWARENEESS

People are born with disabilities they become handicap by accepting the disability. Just because people are different does not mean they are handicapped. We were all born with disabilities however it is how we deal with them that makes us handicap. I’m very outspoken in a way because society has treated me as some one who is handicapped, yes there are things I can not do there are things every one can not do. That is in part why The Americans with Disabilities Act was in acted was to help people with disabilities.

I was asked to be the student representative on the ADA AWARENESS COMMITTEE by the disabilities coordinator because of the column that I had wrote.

In interviewing the disabilities coordinator at EKU she is the one that asked me to be the Student Representative on the committee. She had told me the committee was here before she got here and she has been the coordinator for around 10 years. She said, the ADA AWARENESS COMMITTEE has been around for about 20 years.

I was outspoken when I wrote my column and I asked her to forgive me for being so outspoken in my column. It was nothing against you it was more like asking where the money is going seeing that tution is 2300.00 a semester. She responds, “Sure. You are a journalist and need to express your thoughts and opninons but make sure you get the facts correct as you write. Be a responsible journalist.”

I thought I did have all my facts together. I was told that automatic door opener buttons on doors was a law and it is not, I was misinformed on that part of my column.

When I asked her if she had a disability of any type? The reason I ask that is to show that people with a disabilty sometimes have an easier time understanding other people’s disability and to show you don't have to have a disability to have a heart to help people. She responds, “NO, but I've worked with individuals with disabilities for more than 16 years. I have a degree in Psychology and a Masters Degree in Rehabilitation Counseling.”
She does have a heart to help people; the main reason I asked if she had a disability was not to be nosy however the schools I have went to in the past, the disabilities coordinators had disabilities.

Now that the background was established, I could then ask her how long have you been apart of the ADA AWARENESS COMMITTEE? She responded, “10 years.” Really it is ever since she has been the disabilities coordinator because she has been the disabilities coordinator for 10 years.

What are some changes that the committee has brought about? She excitingly responds, “The committee has brought about some great changes;
1. Instrumental in examining the need for, and increased the number handicapped parking spaces.
2. Each year the committee holds ADA Awareness MOnth in October with informational tables, activities and such allt o engage and educate our campus community regarding disability issues.
3. Bring special speakers to campus
4. Advocate as a committee for many disability issues on campus like making sure buildings are accessible, psoitngh articles for others to read, placing disability signage where needed
5. Help get new positions on campus.

When I asked the coordinator What are some of the changes that the committee hopes to bring about? She said, “Raise disability awareness and help our campus community understand that individuals with disabilities are a vital, important part of our overall diversity to the campus.”
I feel that needs to be done everywhere.
The last question I asked her was Is there anything you want students or and faculty to know about?
Visitors can come to our committee meetings. We also invite our students with disabilites to attend and voice thier concerns and opinions.
Go to our ADA Awareness Website and look for minutes and committee activities.

The committee asked me to write and let people know that people are trying to help get things straightened out and by attending the meeting last month I found that out. If you have any suggestions or ideas that I could bring to the committee let me know; I’m just letting people know something I did not know and that is people are trying to get things done.

Change takes time the changes that we see today have took a long time to come about.

FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME WITH YOUR THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ON THE MATTER jrobinson01@adelphia.net and slicric147@yahoo.com

JOSHUA ROBINSON

I DON’T PLAY ANY GAMES

EKU PROGRESS STAFF WRITER

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.myspace.com
www.foxnews.com www.cnn.com