Wednesday, August 30, 2006

JOSHUA TIME 557

Grave Service> ==============> > As a young minister, I was asked by a funeral director to hold a> graveside service in a new cemetery for a derelict man (with no> family or friends) who had died while traveling through the> area.> > The cemetery was way back in the country. This man would be the> first to be laid to rest at this new cemetery.> > As I was not familiar with the backwoods area, I became lost.> > Being the typical man I didn't stop for directions. And when I> finally arrived an hour late, I saw a crew and a backhoe, but> the hearse was nowhere in sight.> > The workmen were eating lunch. I apologized for my tardiness,> but the workers just looked puzzled. I stepped to the side of> the open grave, to find the vault lid already in place.> > I assured the workers I would not hold them long, but this was> the proper thing to do.> > As the workers gathered around, still eating their lunch. I> poured out my heart and soul.> > As I preached, the workers began to say "Amen," "Praise the> Lord" and "Glory," (they must have all been Baptist).> > I preached, and I preached, like I'd never preached before. I> began from Genesis and worked all the way through to Revelation.> I preached for 45 minutes.> > It was a long service. Finally, I closed in prayer and it was> finished.> > As I was walking to my car, I felt that I had done my duty and I> would leave with a renewed sense of purpose and dedication, in> spite of my tardiness.> > As I was opening the door and taking off my coat, I overheard> one of the workers saying to another...> > "Ya know, I've been putting in septic tanks for 20 years, but I> ain't never seen anything like that before.">

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.myspace.com
www.foxnews.com www.cnn.com